Following the success of last year’s first ever televised Black Girls Rock! Awards, BET, DJ Beverly Bond & B.G.R. Enterprises are gearing up for the 2011 edition of the show that honors the achievements of women of color.
This year’s event will be co-hosted by actresses Tracee Ellis Ross and Regina King, and will feature performances from Erykah Badu, Melanie Fiona, Mary J. Blige, Jill Scott, Elle Varner, Mary Mary and Shirley Caesar. Keep reading to out who will be honored, and when you can watch the show.
The list of celebrants features women from a variety of backgrounds who have used their platform to be a positive influence for young women of color. Here’s the full list of honorees:
- Academy Award-nominee Taraji P. Henson – Star Power Award
- Political activist, scholar, and author Angela Davis – Icon Award
- Gospel great Shirley Caesar – Living Legend Award
- Actress and singer Tatyana Ali – Young, Black & Gifted Award
- President of WNBA and former Girl Scouts USA executive Laurel J. Richie – Shot Caller Award
- The Rebecca Project for Human Rights co-founders Imani Walker and Malika Saada Saar – Trailblazer Awards.
Supermodel Alek Wek, La La Anthony, Sharon Leal and Tichina Arnold will all be on hand as presenters. The show tapes this Saturday (October 15th) at the Bronx’s Paradise Theater, and will air on BET Sunday, November 6th at 8/7c.